Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Back to Machine Knitting ...


Since summer weather is rapidly approaching (yeah, I know, there's SNOW predicted for the Reno area this weekend), I've been knitting up several water bottle cozies like this one.

I do them on the Brother 390 in 9mm mode using any 100% acrylic knitting worsted weight yarn (aka: Red Heart works great!). They do great on the Mid-Gauge too. The needle setup is:

I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I

You will have 10 needles on the LEFT and 9 needles on the right.
Cast on with waste and ravel cord.
Start MAIN YARN
knit 2 rows,
*Starting at the LEFT, bring out every 4th needle to HOLD.

Your 19 needle layout will be:
I I I H I I I H I I I H I I I H I I I

Put Machine on HOLD and knit 2 row.
Take machine OFF HOLD and knit 2 rows.

repeat from * until you reach RC 42 ( you'll have the two plain rows of knitting)
Scrap off with ravel and waste yarn leaving a tail three times the width of your piece.

Graft stitch the two ends together, weave in any yarn ends. If you have problems with the top and bottom curling in (these are the SIDES as you are knitting on the machine), you can undo the 2nd stitch in on each side as you are knitting the piece and latch them up. I just steam them well before doing the graft stitch and don't seem to have any problems at all. *IF* my yarn seems to want to stretch a lot, then I do weave in thread elastic around the top and bottom of the finished item, pulling the elastic THROUGH stitches.

That's it!

Marge in Reno

No comments: